• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KHDestiny & KHisland Interviews Tetsuya Nomura at Japan Expo!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortissimo

I see where you come from, the "recent years" bit can give off that vibe, although that would bring up the question for how long Square already has access to hardware for the next gen-systems, which I reckon they could not have had earlier than 2012. Don't forget that the Osaka team was also busy with developing Dream Drop Distance while Tokyo is still tied up mostly with FF XV, so any development done on KH III can be only between six and eight months I'd say.

Good point. Thats an impressive 6-8 months. I guess it does justice to the new gen hardware.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I see where you come from, the "recent years" bit can give off that vibe, although that would bring up the question for how long Square already has access to hardware for the next gen-systems, which I reckon they could not have had earlier than 2012. Don't forget that the Osaka team was also busy with developing Dream Drop Distance while Tokyo is still tied up mostly with FF XV, so any development done on KH III can be only between six and eight months I'd say.

They don't have to have the devs kits in order to start development. The industry knows years before a console launches what it will be capable of doing. Not specifics of course, but they have a pretty good idea. Besides, if it was in active development for years, they would have decided on a lot of key things on which they haven't. I take Nomura's development to mean "we've started throwing around ideas, doing visual tests, thinking about words etc years ago" and not refer to actual game development.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Good point. Thats an impressive 6-8 months. I guess it does justice to the new gen hardware.

Yep, although the fact that Nomura himself said that they may have announced it to early and how he speaks about what has been done yet in this interview would lead me more to the assumption that if we're lucky we'll see a late 2015 release for Japan/Spring 2016 for the west in the best case, maybe middle 2015 Japan/late 2015 in the west if they're really fast with development.

They don't have to have the devs kits in order to start development. The industry knows years before a console launches what it will be capable of doing. Not specifics of course, but they have a pretty good idea. Besides, if it was in active development for years, they would have decided on a lot of key things on which they haven't. I take Nomura's development to mean "we've started throwing around ideas, doing visual tests, thinking about words etc years ago" and not refer to actual game development.

I guess that would also beckon how one defines "development", as from what I took from Nomura there might have been pre-development planning stages and they're now one step further and already "testing their tools" just as you also point out.
Meaning this I would slate at least two years more development time at the least, meaning the rest of 2013, the entirety of 2014 and a big chunk of 2015 as well if everything goes well.
I wonder how they'll squeeze in HD 2.5 in that, but I would say that if there isn't as much data lost (Re: Coded and BBS are pretty recent and with a bit of luck they may still have the data of KH 2 FM) they can delegate a skeleton crew to it while still having not too much of an impact on KH III.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
That's a really good interview. We really got lot of good information out of it. I love how he confirmed KH2.5 without really announcing it, can't wait until he actually announces it.

I wonder what his plans for Kairi are. He kind of gave me the impression he has big plans for her, that he doesn't want to reveal just yet and that could mean she won't just be training off screen like I'm fearing will be the case. Though I'm probably just being optimistic on this one.

Wow. Him apologizing at the end, kind of made me sad. Seems like he really feels bad about it, but I'm pretty sure most of us can easily forgive him for it.

Although I have to admit that his statement that he thought already about Birth by Sleep, Days and Coded when finishing Chain of Memories is new news for me. I was previously under the impression that he planned the "handheld"-trinity while working on KH 2 and not already right when he was done with CoM.

Isn't that almost the same thing. I'm pretty sure he was working on them around the same time so the end of CoM's development could be the early to middle stage of KH2's development.

Basically it's gonna use the same principles from the Δ command in KH1 and expand upon it. I missed that feature.

I really miss that feature, in KH1 i kept pressing that button in high risk situations and it usually helped quite a bit. Now we might be able to tell them by voice command, that will be useful and a little awkward. I just hope they understand what I'm saying or it could really backfire on me.

Sorry guys, a mistake on our part! It's actually that they can't announce anything else because they revealed KHIII at E3, so we can expect more info about III at D23 Expo Japan.

Huge thanks to KHDestiny's RedWizard for clearing it up.

So I guess that means no announcements for new games at D23? Though based off of what he said he seems to really want to do something big, I wonder what that will be.

I wonder how they'll squeeze in HD 2.5 in that, but I would say that if there isn't as much data lost (Re: Coded and BBS are pretty recent and with a bit of luck they may still have the data of KH 2 FM) they can delegate a skeleton crew to it while still having not too much of an impact on KH III.

Yeah, I kind of expect them to utilize a skeleton crew, maybe even the same that worked on KH1.5. I don't see these ReMixed versions of the games really impacting KH3 all that much.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts 2 FM was released in 2007, with Re:CoM. If they still had the file data for Re:CoM, they still had the data for 2FM and all the games since then.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
• Do you have a final message for the fans?

Nomura : First, I really want to apologize to European fans not being able to offer them KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories for so long. I'm really sorry about that. Also for KINGDOM HEARTS Final Mix, there are new scenes connecting with the rest of the story, so again, I apologize to European and American fans. My apologies also cover additional battles found within Final Mix, including the fight against the unknown black coat you have not benefited. I'm sure you're wondering why you have not had the opportunity to enjoy this version, I'm really sorry again.

Ahh Nomura recognizes overseas fans get left out of Final Mix/Re:CoM. I mean with the ReMIXs they're releasing so far, I can easily apologize him for it.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I wonder what his plans for Kairi are. He kind of gave me the impression he has big plans for her, that he doesn't want to reveal just yet and that could mean she won't just be training off screen like I'm fearing will be the case. Though I'm probably just being optimistic on this one.
I really hope he has plans for her. After leaving us off where we did in DDD, I hope giving her a keyblade isn't just a random drop in the bucket. Many have expressed how she desperately needs character development so I would hope she plays a pretty large role, enough to really expand her as a character.

Now we might be able to tell them by voice command, that will be useful and a little awkward. I just hope they understand what I'm saying or it could really backfire on me.

This is why I was pretty "oh god no" to the voice command feature. Don't get me wrong, it's often a funny gimmick in some games, but I haven't played a game where voice commands work flawlessly. The last thing I need is to say "Donald Cure" and then he wastes all of his MP doing his special moves.

Philman12

This was a great interview. Finally someone asked some new questions and we got some new info. Sounds like 2.5 is in the making and 3 is being worked on hard. Can't wait to see a trailer shortly. I'm sure we get something at D23, even if it's a short clip.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I really hope he has plans for her. After leaving us off where we did in DDD, I hope giving her a keyblade isn't just a random drop in the bucket. Many have expressed how she desperately needs character development so I would hope she plays a pretty large role, enough to really expand her as a character.

Yeah, but she's been side lined so often I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Though I guess that would make the ending in DDD a little pointless. Let's hope they'll finally give her some development.

This is why I was pretty "oh god no" to the voice command feature. Don't get me wrong, it's often a funny gimmick in some games, but I haven't played a game where voice commands work flawlessly. The last thing I need is to say "Donald Cure" and then he wastes all of his MP doing his special moves.

Yeah just imagine, saying "Donald cure Sora" and he uses Fantasia instead or uses cure on a different party member. I wonder how precise the commands can be. Maybe we won't even get the option to tell them what to use, but only what function they should fill.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Hear, hear!

Honestly, I don't think KH3 is going to end up utilizing any of the features on either console. Especially since it's supposed to be an easy port to both systems. You can't exactly add a crucial game mechanic to the PS4's touch pad, in which the XBOX ONE cannot use. And you can't exactly have voice commands for the ONE when the PS4 doesn't have Kinect.

I would be very surprised if they actually decided to use some of the exclusive features of each system.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Hear, hear!

Honestly, I don't think KH3 is going to end up utilizing any of the features on either console. Especially since it's supposed to be an easy port to both systems. You can't exactly add a crucial game mechanic to the PS4's touch pad, in which the XBOX ONE cannot use. And you can't exactly have voice commands for the ONE when the PS4 doesn't have Kinect.

I would be very surprised if they actually decided to use some of the exclusive features of each system.

Of course you can. The feature is not that crucial. If you don't have voice commands, your party members will behave as usual. With voice commands you just add a layer of control over your party.

Now, we don't know how these voice commands will work. Will they work only with they Kinect, can they work with another headset etc? "Voice commands" doesn't necessarily mean "voice commands through the Kinect/PS Camera". Depending on which device does the voice recognition/analysis, they could support any number of headsets etc. Depending on how smart the voice recognition is, they could either have a set of simple commands ("Donald, heal"/ "Goofy, attack") or they could offload the voice recognition to the cloud and make it more natural. The crucial factor in the equation is that every XB1 user will have a Kinect and hence voice recognition capabilities. So you cover that demographic and then, after you've done all the R&D and implementation of the feature, why not port it on the PS4 version? The PS4 has the headset/PS Camera after all.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I'm not talking about just voice command, I'm talking about console exclusive features in general since that was what the question and answer were based on.

Sorakh212

Awards
Gaikai won't have anything to do with Nomura or Square Enix, I don't know what he meant. The only problem that might arise would have to b something related to licencing.
Yeah I figured that much, but I still hope they end up porting both HD Re:Mixes to PSN. I don't currently own a PS3 and was planning on buying all kinds of HD collections KH included once I get a PS4 and as a veteran KH fan it would be so cool to have all of them on one console. Sort of like why they made the remakes in the first place so that the games wouldn't be as scattered. At this point though I highly doubt they won't in the future they probably just can't talk about certain things due to NDA's and what not at the moment. That and next gen consoles aren't even out yet so it's WAY to soon to tell. It just seems like a bad business move is all. To not port them that is.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Nomura : First, I really want to apologize to European fans not being able to offer them KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories for so long. I'm really sorry about that.

On behalf of Europe, apology accepted.

Now come visit more European countries. Please? :)

kupo1121

Awards
Hear, hear!

Thinking about it now, it's true that they could have exclusive to each system, but if they do, it won't be anything major. It will be like with DDD and the Circle Pad Pro which gave you a second analog stick. You could use it, but it didn't drastically impact the game. If that's the case, I'm fine since I will definitely be getting the PS4 and thus won't be using any voice commands :)

YIt just seems like a bad business move is all. To not port them that is.

The bad business move was either not releasing KH3 on the PS3 or not starting the HD collections until the PS4 lol I wouldn't put it past SE to not end up releasing the HD collections on Gakai. It's a sad thought since you are no doubt alone, but I won't put it out of the realm of possibilities. KHBbS was never put on PSN so those with the PSP Go (that atrocity lol) never were able to get it :(

Angi3

wait... "order to maintain consistency"...what about the worlds in KHII? like, The Land of the Dragons, the Pride Lands, and other? those worlds were ever used again (as far as i can tell)!

kupo1121

Awards
wait... "order to maintain consistency"...what about the worlds in KHII? like, The Land of the Dragons, the Pride Lands, and other? those worlds were ever used again (as far as i can tell)!

Those worlds have not been brought back again...yet. They could easily be brought back into KH3. You have to remember that in KH2, at least for certain worlds like Land of Dragons and Port Royal, during KH2 is when Mulan became Ping and the Curse of the Black Pearl storyline started.

We don't know what happened before those 2 events (since Disney has never made prequels to either movie) so SE couldn't have used those worlds for any game except KH2 (Coded was not that journal and DDD was sleeping worlds, we obviously know that those worlds weren't sleeping since we went to them in KH2). If we had visited either world before KH2 that that means SE would have had to craft a completely new storyline that Disney never allowed them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back