• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

When are we expecting news?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Personally if 4 just has a bunch of normal Disney worlds like all the other games than the whole conceit of the game would have to be solved early on which I think would be lame. I'd like it if we could have a whole game with just weird choices + Quadratum, since that's what everything was pointing towards and suggesting... but everyone keeps asking for more normal worlds anyway, idk.
Yep, the Verum Rex/Quadranum verse kinda has to have worlds that are categorically different, like the remakes or the aquisitions. It's like Nomura went out of his way to find a way to utilize IPs that some fans claim "don't fit KH". Well now they're not in KH, but their own universe, problem solved!

All the more reason for side games. Both to give other characters like Kairi something to do, & to cover Disney properties that would otherwise be left in the dust.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I feel like the fanbase always thinks the games are going to be much more adventurous than they actually end up being.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Yep, the Verum Rex/Quadranum verse kinda has to have worlds that are categorically different, like the remakes or the aquisitions. It's like Nomura went out of his way to find a way to utilize IPs that some fans claim "don't fit KH". Well now they're not in KH, but their own universe, problem solved!

All the more reason for side games. Both to give other characters like Kairi something to do, & to cover Disney properties that would otherwise be left in the dust.
While I think you're right in that that's what the devs are going to do, I do want to clarify that for those of us who think thinga like Captain America and Kylo Ren don't fit KH, we think they don't fit the tone and feel of the series, not the physical reality of the series. I'm not going to like it whether it's in the world of light, darkness, in-between or unreality. Quadratum doesn't really fix that for us.

I do agree that I really miss the side games. I don't think Treasure Planet or Atlantis are appearing in any mainline modern title, though I'd love to be wrong.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Personally if 4 just has a bunch of normal Disney worlds like all the other games than the whole conceit of the game would have to be solved early on which I think would be lame.
I remember when the Frozen II world was "rumoured" to be "in discussions" for KH4. I thought sequels to worlds already in the series wouldn't work because Sora's suppose to be trapped away in a place that's apparently really difficult to come back from.

If he's able to follow up in a Frozen world, then some options are:
  • he's able to come out from Quadratum but the rules mean he has to return,
  • coming into it from Quadratum, but this version of the world isn't in the realm of light and is "reset" like the Little Mermaid world in KH2 and Elsa and Anna don't remember Sora (which I'd think is a bit of a cop out, I dislike it when things ultimately don't matter)
  • Sora dives into the astral plane for worlds and you don't see any Disney characters, you just run through a world all by yourself, like 0.2.
But yeah, I think some normal Disney worlds will be in consideration and I'm sure Nomura has a solution. Probably Hades pulling him out as a ghost but it's not permanent.

There's a lot of death worlds that can be pulled from Pixar's recent works, like Coco and Soul, but I'd like a balance outside of that theme. Star Wars 6 doesn't really fit in that theme so I do wonder what the ultimate tie together will be.

Re: Kairi, unless Kingdom Hearts 4 is no longer called Kingdom Hearts 4, I don't think there'd be any meaningful gameplay segments with characters outside of Sora. Riku in the original KH3 was just a handful of battles, not even a reuse of the final map of the Dark World in 0.2 to get us use to his controls (and the ability to remap cure), and I don't see Kairi or anyone else getting more than that. But I guess Aqua was originally going to be playable at the start of the game so who knows. It'd be a nice surprise though.

1millionsquats

Awards
Sora dives into the astral plane for worlds and you don't see any Disney characters, you just run through a world all by yourself, like 0.2.

Man, that'd be a big step back. Most of the worlds already kind of play like that, where you just run through on your own and only see other characters in cutscenes, but one of the coolest parts of 3 in comparison to previous titles was how they managed to make areas in Corona and Port Royal seem bustling and lively.

Despite enjoying 3D, Paris always jumped out to me for being so empty. Like, Quasimodo's parade consists of himself and five Nightmares... I know that's mostly due to hardware limitations and whatnot, but it's still pretty funny.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Man, that'd be a big step back. Most of the worlds already kind of play like that, where you just run through on your own and only see other characters in cutscenes, but one of the coolest parts of 3 in comparison to previous titles was how they managed to make areas in Corona and Port Royal seem bustling and lively.

Despite enjoying 3D, Paris always jumped out to me for being so empty. Like, Quasimodo's parade consists of himself and five Nightmares... I know that's mostly due to hardware limitations and whatnot, but it's still pretty funny.
I know, I was like "this will NEVER happen but..."

Thankfully me spending all of 20 seconds on a list is sooo different to Nomura and the Osaka team spending months deliberating on the best path forward 😂

I do believe they will positively surprise us. I need to feel that feeling when we landed in Port Royal and it had a town with NPCs that wasn't shown off pre-release.

Darkspawn

Fallen to Darkness
Awards
While I think you're right in that that's what the devs are going to do, I do want to clarify that for those of us who think thinga like Captain America and Kylo Ren don't fit KH, we think they don't fit the tone and feel of the series, not the physical reality of the series. I'm not going to like it whether it's in the world of light, darkness, in-between or unreality. Quadratum doesn't really fix that for us.

Thing is, many of us are expecting Unreality to have a different tone and feel from what we’ve seen so far in the series anyways. If they are going to do that, then the worlds should follow suit. Otherwise, there’s really no point in it and Quadratum should just be its own world in the realm of sleep or something. Which is fine if that’s what you would have preferred. But I’m excited for the potential of something fresh for the series.

And for the record, Star Wars is in the DNA of KH and I think will fit just fine regardless. Marvel really just depends on what they adapt and how. We technically already have Marvel in KH in the form of Big Hero 6 even if it is much different from its source material.

Liodin

Awards
Re: Kairi, unless Kingdom Hearts 4 is no longer called Kingdom Hearts 4, I don't think there'd be any meaningful gameplay segments with characters outside of Sora. Riku in the original KH3 was just a handful of battles, not even a reuse of the final map of the Dark World in 0.2 to get us use to his controls (and the ability to remap cure), and I don't see Kairi or anyone else getting more than that. But I guess Aqua was originally going to be playable at the start of the game so who knows. It'd be a nice surprise though.
And Roxas had a whole section in 2.

idk why Kairi, or any other character, can't have meaningful gameplay segments.

I can even see Riku and Yozora having their own "episodes".

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
i hope nobody is actually getting their hopes up for playable kairi in KH4... since riku is the one looking for sora, it's going to be riku again. even playable yozora is WAY more likely.
100% chance Yozora's moveset was designed around gameplay concepts they had in mind.

Darkspawn

Fallen to Darkness
Awards
I think it’d be cool to play as Yozora leading up to his fight with Sora in Re:Mind. Especially since there’s probably a lot of people who never got to fight him or see those scenes since they were locked behind the data fights.

It could help explain a lot of what was going on from his perspective. And fighting against full powered KH3 Sora as the first major boss fight of the game would be pretty epic. Then he loses those powers before we start playing as him.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Thing is, many of us are expecting Unreality to have a different tone and feel from what we’ve seen so far in the series anyways. If they are going to do that, then the worlds should follow suit. Otherwise, there’s really no point in it and Quadratum should just be its own world in the realm of sleep or something. Which is fine if that’s what you would have preferred. But I’m excited for the potential of something fresh for the series.

And for the record, Star Wars is in the DNA of KH and I think will fit just fine regardless. Marvel really just depends on what they adapt and how. We technically already have Marvel in KH in the form of Big Hero 6 even if it is much different from its source material.

I'm not trying to say they're not going to do it, or that it's wrong or anything. I'm saying that the people who don't want SW or Marvel are likely not going to change their minds because it's in unreality. They don't want it because they don't feel it feels the tone of the series, or straight up don't like either Marvel or SW. Changing the configuration under which it appears won't change that.

I disagree that either fit with the series, and that's fine, we're different people that want different things. I was commenting specifically on the thought that putting them in Quadratum would make a difference. People who don't want Sora fighting Darth Vader aren't going to like that regardless of whether it happens in reality or unreality.

HakaishinChampa

Legendary Member
Awards
It'd be cool if in Unreality we get Disney Worlds that can't really happen in The Realm of Light

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is an obvious pick since it's so different from the Wonderland we know

Maybe we could get twisted versions of worlds we've been to in the past? Not like the Live Action movies but more so a Bad Future of each world or with a completely different history

Frozen for example can take the Evil Elsa concept, Mulan but it has a Steampunk esthetic

I think that could be interesting, flipping a world on it's head

Maybe it'd take too much work but I think it would be cool

1millionsquats

Awards
I disagree that either fit with the series, and that's fine, we're different people that want different things. I was commenting specifically on the thought that putting them in Quadratum would make a difference. People who don't want Sora fighting Darth Vader aren't going to like that regardless of whether it happens in reality or unreality.

Yep, I'm dying on that hill. These properties may have storylines and characters that could fit into the themes of the plot, but lack the kind of whimsicality in visual design and presentation that converses so well with Kingdom Hearts.
It won't ruin the game for me, and it's cool that the much, much larger demograph of people who do like these things will be happy and excited about that addition, but when you don't vibe with it, you don't.

I'll go even further and say I don't like Frozen or Big Hero 6 and wasn't happy about their inclusion either. Put simply, what got me interested in Kingdom Hearts was traversing the worlds of the Disney films that I like. I'm not much of a Disney fan and more a fan of these individual works. But that's beside the point. 🤷‍♂️

100% chance Yozora's moveset was designed around gameplay concepts they had in mind.

I'd love to see Sora get some teleports at his most powerful towards the endgame. The lasers are awesome concepts, too!
If you've played Elden Ring, I can see something that works similarly to the Magic Glintblade spell, where you set it up and it places the origin point of the attack, then automatically fires at the target after a little bit of time.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
"I don't want Marvel" "I don't want Star Wars" okay but Disney owns Hulu and they have a Lisa Vanderpump show and I'll be damned if y'all talk Nomura out of a Lisa Vanderpump world 😤

xenosaga

Awards
I don't expect playable Yozora in KH4, if there is it would be a short teaser of sort I guess. That will be saved for Verum Rex.

Liodin

Awards
I don't know if I want Verum Rex at this point, honestly.

Only if another development team does it. And I don't know if can trust another team.

I don't want to play KH5 in 2038.

Chie

Awards
I feel like the fanbase always thinks the games are going to be much more adventurous than they actually end up being.
Everything pointing towards KH4 has been designed specifically to set the expectation that this is going to be something very adventurous, though.

Like, I'm not saying "I trust and believe them"; the possibility that this ends up as just more KH3 is extremely present. But I am saying that if they fail to follow up on any of this stuff, it's absolutely their own fault, not the fans' for having wild expectations on their own.

When you spend five years teasing the idea of Sora being stuck in a "fictional world" that just so happens to look like our actual real-life world, and the cast of one of Nomura's cancelled games is running around in it and talking about how they had their identities stolen (by XV), well, I sure would like to play a game about that idea, and not about, like, Inside Out or whatever.

Last edited:

Darkspawn

Fallen to Darkness
Awards
I'm not trying to say they're not going to do it, or that it's wrong or anything. I'm saying that the people who don't want SW or Marvel are likely not going to change their minds because it's in unreality. They don't want it because they don't feel it feels the tone of the series, or straight up don't like either Marvel or SW. Changing the configuration under which it appears won't change that.

That’s fair enough. To me, it’s just not really different than saying any other Disney property like Tron, Pirates, Toy Story, etc. wouldn’t fit. It’s completely valid, but the beauty of KH is there can be a variety and something for everyone.

I don't know if I want Verum Rex at this point, honestly.

Only if another development team does it. And I don't know if can trust another team.

I don't want to play KH5 in 2038.

Yeah I only want it if they’re willing to run another dev team to handle both franchises. Personally, I’d be cool with Verum Rex if it became the vehicle for Star Wars, Marvel, and other live action properties beyond KH4. Then the people who want KH to only be Disney/Pixar can continue enjoying the main series while others who are interested in the other properties can engage with VR. They could even give it a T rating to explore more serious themes.

Who knows, if Kitase’s new creative studio is dedicated to KH, it’s possible they are adding another dev team under that umbrella for that purpose.

But I still think there’s a strong possibility what would have been Verum Rex is now Reynatis and that’s why Nomura, Nojima, and Shimomura are all supporting it.

Reactions: Rii
Back