• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Yoichi Wada CEO of Square Enix resigns

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Hopefully they won't decide to scrap 2.5 to get KH3 out quicker. I highly doubt they would do that, but you never know...

Definitely not, since it doesn't take a lot of manpower to make these HD collections, and they definitely help bring in new fans to the series who would ultimately buy KH3.

birthbysleep86

Website
www.facebook.com
So pretty much it is the US's fault that they have not made sales? Honestly I agree with this. Looking at what US society has come to, for the US "Gamer" everyone has been focusing on the mindless FPS (First Person Shooter) games. From a lot of FPS fans who claim to be gamers, they think games like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and pretty much anything that requires actual thought with a good story is portrayed as "Gay" or a "nerd game." There are plenty of great games out there besides FPS but this type of "Gamer" is closed minded and ignorant of anything else. The US prides itself on mindless violence in games, pretty much no reading, and releasing the same pointless and mindless FPS over and over again. (Why do they do this you ask? Because they know the same ignorant people will buy the game every time.) An example of this is Black Ops and Pretty much anything by Tom Clancy. When Black Ops came out Gamestop did this whole big event party and when games like Kingdom Hearts come out there is nothing but a guy a gamestop showing how to play the game. This is a sad joke. Mr. Wada should not have to step down because of the US "gamer" being dumbed down by it's own society. Enix even went out of it's way to put Final Fantasy on that sad system called 360. I know trying to bring in a new 360 fan base but at the same time they where trying to sell the to the wrong kind of "gamer" Most 360 "gamers" are FPS fans. Why? Because the only thing 360 ever puts out is FPS. They don't even have their own games for the 360 its all 3rd party games. I think it was a big mistake putting anything by Square Enix on that second rate American made garbage. I just think it should be time to put two different names on a FPS "gamer" and a real Gamer that is open minded to the plethora of games out there. Before I end this though I don't want anyone to think I hate FPS games. In fact I myself do play FPS games like 007 and Dead Space(not FPS but close enough) and I enjoy playing them but also love playing games like Luigi's Mansion or Final Fantasy and of course Kingdom Hearts. I believe you can only be called a real gamer if you play different genre of games and don't just seclude yourself to just one kind and talking trash about anything else that is different.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Gonna see this as a good thing. Hopefully this leads to more creative things like The World Ends With You was.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So pretty much it is the US's fault that they have not made sales? Honestly I agree with this.

You really shouldn't. Eidos and other Western developed and published games from SE are being used as a scapegoat to cover up what a mess SE Japan really is and that most of their problems stem from Wada's (and other staff's) mismanagement over their games like releasing Final Fantasy XIV before it was ready, waiting months to do anything about it, blaming the mess on the game's director and producer, initiating the redevelopment that has taken well over 700 in-house staff and outsourced worker to get done to release this year which has meant less staff working on other games, using the XIII series to fill the void, announcing games before they were even in development (i.e. Versus XIII, XIII, X HD), and there are plenty more problems that can be listed.

Square Enix's only good move these last years was buying Eidos. If games like Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider hadn't been released Square Enix's HD game output would have been pitiful this generation and they wouldn't have even made half the money they did this generation.

Looking at what US society has come to, for the US "Gamer" everyone has been focusing on the mindless FPS (First Person Shooter) games. From a lot of FPS fans who claim to be gamers, they think games like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and pretty much anything that requires actual thought with a good story is portrayed as "Gay" or a "nerd game." There are plenty of great games out there besides FPS but this type of "Gamer" is closed minded and ignorant of anything else. The US prides itself on mindless violence in games, pretty much no reading, and releasing the same pointless and mindless FPS over and over again. (Why do they do this you ask? Because they know the same ignorant people will buy the game every time.) An example of this is Black Ops and Pretty much anything by Tom Clancy. When Black Ops came out Gamestop did this whole big event party and when games like Kingdom Hearts come out there is nothing but a guy a gamestop showing how to play the game. This is a sad joke.

You don't understand this situation at all. The problem isn't the mindset of the gamers or Western games in general. SE has been releasing some pretty fantastic games from their Western devs like Tomb Raider then set unrealistic expectations on these games to sell a large number of units in a short amount of time.

This is the "reason" Wada has stepped down. These games did not do as well as they wanted (despite the fact Tomb Raider is critically acclaimed, has been out less than a month, and has sold over 3.4 million units and is an overall success)

The problem is not western games or gamers.

Mr. Wada should not have to step down because of the US "gamer" being dumbed down by it's own society.

Wada should have stepped down years ago after the XIV fiasco, but he was able to dump the blame on XIV's staff.

Enix even went out of it's way to put Final Fantasy on that sad system called 360. I know trying to bring in a new 360 fan base but at the same time they where trying to sell the to the wrong kind of "gamer" Most 360 "gamers" are FPS fans. Why? Because the only thing 360 ever puts out is FPS. They don't even have their own games for the 360 its all 3rd party games.

Actually if I remember correctly Microsoft went to Square Enix and made a contract with them to release games exclusively on the 360. That deal has long since gone sour as sales of the 360 exclusive games did terribly and the only game you really see made in Japan being released on the now 360 is the XIII series because of the fact it went multiplat.

I think it was a big mistake putting anything by Square Enix on that second rate American made garbage. I just think it should be time to put two different names on a FPS "gamer" and a real Gamer that is open minded to the plethora of games out there. Before I end this though I don't want anyone to think I hate FPS games. In fact I myself do play FPS games like 007 and Dead Space(not FPS but close enough) and I enjoy playing them but also love playing games like Luigi's Mansion or Final Fantasy and of course Kingdom Hearts. I believe you can only be called a real gamer if you play different genre of games and don't just seclude yourself to just one kind and talking trash about anything else that is different.

So Tomb Raider, made by Crystal Dynamics owned by Square Enix, a critical hit, doing really well, shouldn't be sold by Square Enix?

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I believe you can only be called a real gamer if you play different genre of games and don't just seclude yourself to just one kind
This is a terrible mindset. A gamer is a gamer whether they play one genre or many.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
So pretty much it is the US's fault that they have not made sales? Honestly I agree with this. Looking at what US society has come to, for the US "Gamer" everyone has been focusing on the mindless FPS (First Person Shooter) games. From a lot of FPS fans who claim to be gamers, they think games like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and pretty much anything that requires actual thought with a good story is portrayed as "Gay" or a "nerd game." There are plenty of great games out there besides FPS but this type of "Gamer" is closed minded and ignorant of anything else. The US prides itself on mindless violence in games, pretty much no reading, and releasing the same pointless and mindless FPS over and over again. (Why do they do this you ask? Because they know the same ignorant people will buy the game every time.) An example of this is Black Ops and Pretty much anything by Tom Clancy. When Black Ops came out Gamestop did this whole big event party and when games like Kingdom Hearts come out there is nothing but a guy a gamestop showing how to play the game. This is a sad joke. Mr. Wada should not have to step down because of the US "gamer" being dumbed down by it's own society. Enix even went out of it's way to put Final Fantasy on that sad system called 360. I know trying to bring in a new 360 fan base but at the same time they where trying to sell the to the wrong kind of "gamer" Most 360 "gamers" are FPS fans. Why? Because the only thing 360 ever puts out is FPS. They don't even have their own games for the 360 its all 3rd party games. I think it was a big mistake putting anything by Square Enix on that second rate American made garbage. I just think it should be time to put two different names on a FPS "gamer" and a real Gamer that is open minded to the plethora of games out there. Before I end this though I don't want anyone to think I hate FPS games. In fact I myself do play FPS games like 007 and Dead Space(not FPS but close enough) and I enjoy playing them but also love playing games like Luigi's Mansion or Final Fantasy and of course Kingdom Hearts. I believe you can only be called a real gamer if you play different genre of games and don't just seclude yourself to just one kind and talking trash about anything else that is different.
while to an extent, you're not entirely wrong, but the US is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. People love great stories with actual thought; just not in video games. Though it sometimes appears that the average person and the critic are at odds on such things, there is a lot of arrogance here and neglect of intellect but its not entirely out of style.

and on another note, 360 is far from garbage and in fact has a lot more to offer than just FPS' many of which are fun, and I generally suck at them cuz I don't know much about guns. It is monotonous though. There are also a vast majority of multiplatformers that are made for the 360 because its the easier system to develop for and then they are ported to the ps3 which by now is not much better in terms of hardware.

Last edited:

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
There are also a vast majority of multiplatformers that are made for the 360 because its the easier system to develop for and then they are ported to the ps3 which by now is not much better in terms of hardware.

Not generally anymore. Developers normally use the PS3 as a lead platform and then port the game over the 360 because that's easier to do than the other way around due to the PS3's architecture. It's why there used to be more graphical differences between two versions of the game with the PS3 being the worse, even if they were slight issues.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Not generally anymore. Developers normally use the PS3 as a lead platform and then port the game over the 360 because that's easier to do than the other way around due to the PS3's architecture. It's why there used to be more graphical differences between two versions of the game with the PS3 being the worse, even if they were slight issues.
Really? I thought they still did the 360 first, because of the ps3s architecture.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
That was the problem. There are issues with porting a game over to the PS3 thus it was more of a struggle than what they do now. Putting that aside, developers have more of a hand-in experience with the PS3 now and iirc Sony has helped developers from time to time.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm scared about how this will affect the KH series.

Probably not at all.

Alright, but they don't do that consistently do they? Think about it like this:
Black Ops II or FFXIV. Your Choice.

Can't we pick both? Objectively neither of them are bad games (at least not XIV 2.0.) It only depends on what level of enjoyment you get out of them. Also as not all Western games are idiotic shooters and do contain a rich story with colorful characters (like hey that Square Enix game Tomb Raider), the opposite can be said for Japanese games (like hey that terrible game Toriyama made, MindJack or even The 3rd Birthday depending on how much you really liked the "twist")

SeekerofLight

I don't think it'll really affect the KH series that much. Actually, I think if it does anything they'll look at sales numbers and increase the resources available to Nomura and his team(s) to either increase the quality of future KH titles or possibly even new titles (or maybe even jumpstart development on KH3 depending on how close Versus is getting to completion)

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

The exact opposite. Games are created for the 360 and then ported to the ps3. Tomb Raider wasn't even ported by crystal dynamics, another company did it. Most multi platforms look better on the 360 because of that. Of course there are exception (Bioshock Infinite, TR, FF XIII, Metal Gear Rising etc).
the ps3 is extremely powerful but only a handful of devs have used it to its maximum potential.

Twilightheaven

Twilight Warrior of the Stars
Awards
My two cents on wadas resignation is that for the most part was ridiculous delays on game titles that we want such as ffv13 and KH3 and the below to average FF games like 14 and 13-2 that was released. I don't see this being affected to KH3 but i will say that don't be surprised that we might get a report later in the year that says that Square enix will look on the sales of KH 1.5 remix outside japan to see if they will make KH3.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
The exact opposite. Games are created for the 360 and then ported to the ps3. Tomb Raider wasn't even ported by crystal dynamics, another company did it. Most multi platforms look better on the 360 because of that. Of course there are exception (Bioshock Infinite, TR, FF XIII, Metal Gear Rising etc).
the ps3 is extremely powerful but only a handful of devs have used it to its maximum potential.

Not normally they are not. Not every developer follows this trend, some have PC as the lead platform while others make builds for both systems at the same time. There are no "exceptions" because it has become more common for PS3 to be the lead platform.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
don't be surprised that we might get a report later in the year that says that Square enix will look on the sales of KH 1.5 remix outside japan to see if they will make KH3.

Remasters are not, and never will be, used to measure interest in a game series. They are only used to make easy cash to fund other projects.

1.5, nor 2.5 will not be indicative of the fanbase's interest in Kingdom Hearts 3, which already far exceeds their interest in anything else within this series. SE already knows it is making Kingdom Hearts 3, if they haven't started planning already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back