• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Honestly, if the film is hypothetically an original story instead of trying to adapt KH1, I could be a little more open to it being live action.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Weren't there some rumors that this would be live action back when this was supposed to be a series? I don't think they gained much traction because the concept of live action Kingdom Hearts just doesn't fit. And yet...
Yeah, they did. And now I believe that this guy is just spinning old wheels for clout.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
View attachment 16401
Yeah this person is definitely not reliable 😂

It’s possible this group was in talks but they broke down, especially with the SAG/WGA strikes around that time. There were several scoopers around that time saying the same thing. There’s always going to be the possibility that things could change. I think DanielRPK was one of those people claiming this and he ended up accurately leaking that Pedro was cast shortly before the trades announced it.

But because things do change, they can also use that as an excuse when they just make up guesses that don’t pan out. So it’s best to always just take them with a grain of salt and not take it too seriously.

Squood!

seibah
Awards

Ok, 154k followers.
Who is this and why should we trust them?
Disney: Where we take a game series which is not only a combination of two franchises but also basically a combination of two types of animation and throw all that shit out in favor of L I V E A C T I O N.

Fuck off, I'd rather have a KH film entirely in Advent Children's artstyle.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm late to the rumors of a live action Kingdom Hearts movie. Really? Live action? If that's true I hope it's just an original story idea with the lore of Keyblades and Heartless. I'm hoping it's not a retelling of KH1.

Either way this is either going to be really good or really bad. I don't see a in between here. But it will be amusing watching the fanbase during this period.

Zackarix

Awards
I certainly hope this rumor is wrong, but the more I think about it the more it makes (bad) sense from some points of view.

First of all, some executives will avoid animation whenever possible. For an example look at the Dragon's Lair movie Netflix is supposed to be working on. It's a video game series primarily known for its 2D animation. It was being pitched by Don Bluth, one of the most significant figures in American animation since Walt. And a Netflix executive said "We'll take it! But make it live action. And get Ryan Reynolds to sign a deal to star in it!"

And if it's not animated there's no question of whether or not it's in the Disney Animated Canon, which may make it easier to get around the crossover wariness. Being in a different medium makes it clearer that this movie may involve versions of Hercules, Aladdin, Ariel, Peter Pan, etc., but they're not the true core versions of the characters.

And of course, not being part of the Canon leaves a lot more room for failure. If a live action Kingdom Hearts movie flops it's just another bad video game movie, join the club. If a Kingdom Hearts movie is released as part of the Animated Canon and it's a bad flop that makes it a permanent stain on Disney's legacy.

Also, live action movies can have a runtime of two hours or more while animated moves tend to only be around ninety minutes. Having a 33% longer runtime can be appealing when you're trying to adapt a twenty hour episodic game.

So from a certain point of view live action may feel like a safer bet than animation. (Even if it only takes a few more moments of thinking to realize that Kingdom Hearts is a celebration of Disney's animated history and trying to turn it into a live action movie creates way more problems than it solves.)

Last edited:
Back