• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Yoko Shimomura to compose Kingdom Hearts III

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Okay... I clearly need to take a nap, because when I first saw this, I thought it said Utada Hikaru instead of Yoko Shimomura. Wishful thinking, I guess?

ANYWAY, this is great news and something I'm more than happy to hear about. Really, if anyone but Shimomura ever composes for the series, it'll be a very sad day, in my opinion.

And I'm also glad that we got a snippet of KHIII news at TGS via this announcement. Granted it's small (and something we all knew would happen, anyway), but I very much appreciate it all the same. Heck, after seven years of hearing nothing about KHIII, it's nice to even hear the name in a truthful statement.

Welp, DE23 here I come, I guess:)

Last edited:

Bogeta24

This is good news but obvious. The fact there have been no new details on KH 3 and no announcement for 2.5 is killing me.

Silverwarrior

It's interesting that Ishimoto worked on BBS and DDS as a composer, especially when he was the (less than stellar) synthesiser operator for KH2. I guess the switch to streamed music as opposed to sequenced music (from BBS onwards) really made a difference to the sounds of the series. Although, if you look at music for KH2, some of the sounds were streamed because they clearly couldn't be handled by the synth engine. The most obvious example of this is the saxophone in "A Lazy Afternoon". There are wav files with the sax melody, and they are streamed with the bgm file of the track.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's interesting that Ishimoto worked on BBS and DDS as a composer, especially when he was the (less than stellar) synthesiser operator for KH2. I guess the switch to streamed music as opposed to sequenced music (from BBS onwards) really made a difference to the sounds of the series. Although, if you look at music for KH2, some of the sounds were streamed because they clearly couldn't be handled by the synth engine. The most obvious example of this is the saxophone in "A Lazy Afternoon". There are wav files with the sax melody, and they are streamed with the bgm file of the track.

Well it isn't like Ishimoto is a bad composer, or even bad at being a synth operator since that was his primary job before they started giving him games to compose for. The way it sounds from your description, they were aiming for higher quality sound and semi-complex layering but didn't really know how to approach it. It sounded fine in 2006 but looking back it sounds really weird.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The original Traverse Town music track was the same, having the main melody as an actual musical performance, but all the other makings of the song be MIDI.

limit

Idk, I prefer KH2 over BBS, although I will admit KH3D got me to love the BBS style. I don't get why some people think the synth was messy w/ KH2.

The Encounter
Desire for All that Is Lost
A Fight to the Death
Tension Rising
13th Dilemma

Need I go on? Not to mention the idea of recurring boss themes was really cool, like when you heard the intro to one of the songs, you knew s**t was about to go down (The Encounter FTW).

I don't really have too many memorable tracks from BBS, besdes Enter the Darkness (which really was Ishimoto), Black Powder, etc. Sure the important themes were done beautifully, like Aqua, Ven, but I hate how BBS got you a generic energy rave theme for bosses instead of that OH S**T feeling. Yoko did go all out on KH3D, though, along with Sekito and Ishimoto.

Untamable, Ice-Hot Lobster, All for One, Deep Drop, L'impeto Oscuro, and all the others like that were AMAZING.

Silverwarrior

Dismiss and Dark Impetus and Hunter of the Dark were also in the BBS OST ;).

And in terms of the generic boss themes (I assume you're referring to The Tumbling and Unforgettable?) you've also got Extreme Encounters, alongside the returners Vim and Vigor, The Encounter, Shrouding Dark Cloud, Rowdy Rumble

In terms of DDD, my personal opinion was that the boss themes for the dream eaters were weaker than the series' main boss themes. Looking at the OST i note that they were mostly composed by Sekito, and I think it shows because they are so different.

I think the most interesting to see for KH3, will be how the final boss track will sound (assuming its MX). Because if you think about all the tracks linked to MX , there's a lot!!!

Starting with KH1 - Forze del Male (ASoD), Guardando Nel Buio
Re:COM: Revenge of Chaos (which although wasnt an MX Derivative, it dealt with darkness)
KH2: Disappeared, Darkness of the Unknown (Xemnas - linking in the Organisations theme as well)
BBS: Rage Awakened (AX), Black Powder, (MX), Dark Impetus (MF), forze dell'oscurita (Armor), Xehanort (MX)
DDD: L'impero oscura (YX) L'emineza oscura I/II (darkness), L'oscurita dell'ignoto (Xemnas), Xigbar

Throw in the Organisation XIII, and probably Terra and the Fate of the Unknown and you've got a hell of a lot of tracks/remixes and themes to work in. And dearly beloved and destati will likely eb in there somewhere.

TLDR: Eargasm!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
WOOP! Not disappointed by this news ^_^ I noticed that the KH staff that has usually been behind the scenes has been out a lot more lately. Between Japan Expo, E3, and various other events, it's nice to see them getting out more often. I hope they eventually attend ALL conventions (pipe dream, but still a dream)...

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
WHEN THEY WERE YOUNG

004.jpg

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
I don't follow the names of the tracks like most of you guys appear to, so it's TOTALLY going over my head. But I'm so very glad that Shimomura is composing for KH again! I hope she really enjoys doing this game~ And ALL of them, really :3

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
do you think any of her musix in kingdom hearts 3 will make us shed a tear or be so emotional since this game will have a lot of emotional moments probaly?

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
do you think any of her musix in kingdom hearts 3 will make us shed a tear or be so emotional since this game will have a lot of emotional moments probaly?

It's Shimomoura...I'm pretty darn sure she can do what she wants with our emotional lives if she wants to lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Her music made me emotion over a character I hated for the entire game. So...yeah. I'm pretty sure she'll do it for KH3.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Which character did she give you feels for? X3

She's a musical magician~

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Xion. Who is probably the most base breaking character in the series.

I feel the same except with a certain Earthy BBS character.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Xion. Who is probably the most base breaking character in the series.

I feel the same except with a certain Earthy BBS character.
This "Earthy BbS character"...Would he happen to have a grating voice and weird sense of right and wrong? XD

She can make us love even the oddballs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back