• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Square Enix and Sony Getting Sued

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
A class action lawsuit has been filed against Square Enix and Sony Computer Entertainment America for selling copies of Final Fantasy XIII that allegedly freeze and even break PlayStation 3 consoles.

The lawsuit, filed on June 2, 2010 by Daniel Wolf of San Diego, Calif., alleges Final Fantasy XIII has caused "severe and widespread damage" to Sony PS3 gaming systems since its release on March 9, 2010. The lawsuit states that, for many consumers playing Final Fantasy XIII, has "caused their PS3 consoles to freeze and become totally and permanently inoperable." Wolf said he purchased a copy of Final Fantasy XIII the day it was released, and when attempting to save his game, his PS3 became unresponsive and would no longer play any other media after restarting it.

"Both Defendants are eminently aware of the damage being cause by their defective products, and have chosen to do nothing about it," the lawsuit says.

The suit also alleges that both Sony and Square Enix blamed the issue on one another. Square Enix said the issue resulted from Sony's console, and Sony blamed the issue on a faulty Final Fantasy XIII game disc. Neither company allegedly offered to cover the cost of repairing PS3 consoles.

The class seeks more than $5 million in damages and other financial relief.

Square Enix has not responded to requests for comment at this time. Sony told IGN it does not comment on legal matters.
Article: Final Fantasy XIII Freezes Lead To Lawsuit - PlayStation 3 News at IGN

Copy of Lawsuit (PDF): http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/document/article/109/1094916/SquareEnix.pdf

Last edited:

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
the lawsuit embellishes the problem quite a bit

also if you have enough money to pay a lawyer to bring a class-action lawsuit against sony and square-enix then you definitely can afford a new ps3

by the way i am also considering a lawsuit against square-enix for the magic defense bug in ff7

it is legit

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
My child choked on my Final Fantasy XIII case and Square Enix refused to pay the bill. They clearly have malicious intent.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3
5million in damages, riiiight.

why don't you just buy a new ps3? -__-

omg this daniel guy is from SD! D:< what a dick asking for 5mill.. that's so unreasonable.. oh god..

Z

Zulkir

My child choked on my Final Fantasy XIII case and Square Enix refused to pay the bill. They clearly have malicious intent.

McDonalds is making me FAT!

*spills Starbucks coffee on himself*

*goes off to sue Starbucks for attempted murder and somehow wins a truckload of cash he doesn't deserve a penny of*

Allister Rose

French Lover
well my ff13 doesn't freeze...it's a little odd....

oh well, maybe its just the NA version

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member
LOL This lawsuit is going to fail so hard. Considering how fast the other lawsuit failed (Wasn't there another one like this a while ago?), this one isn't going to go too far.
My game plays just fine on my PS3 and i've never had any problems with it at all :/

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I dont have a PS3 so I wouldnt know, but is this actually causing major widespread damage? I dont think it is... if it was then the lawsuit would be justified but on Gamefaqs everyone says that what he is saying is just a load of bull.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Didn't bugger up my PS3. Then again we're PAL.

Wtf, why do some people think lawsuits are the answer? That wouldn't even cross my mind. Our old (as in, first old model) ps3 stopped reading bluray a while ago, and Sony took it and fixed it for free. And then when the old girl broke again, we just bought a slim. (It started working again though...)

It broke while we were in the middle of playing Red Faction! Must... sue... company!!

Z

Zulkir

I don't believe for a second that they have any chance of winning. The most they'll get is a small settlement so they STFU or just new equipment.

I know in the end it won't impact Square to any significant degree but crap like this can still be pretty irritating.

"Mine broke therefore the company is out to cheat us for our money."

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Didn't bugger up my PS3. Then again we're PAL.

Wtf, why do some people think lawsuits are the answer? That wouldn't even cross my mind. Our old (as in, first old model) ps3 stopped reading bluray a while ago, and Sony took it and fixed it for free. And then when the old girl broke again, we just bought a slim. (It started working again though...)

It broke while we were in the middle of playing Red Faction! Must... sue... company!!

Well the lawsuit PDF says that they refused to repair it so that really isnt an option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back