• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Conversation with Creators with Tetsuya Nomura Interview!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The main concern I have with "quickly" is that Nomura and co. do not make the mistake and rush KH III, leaving it a borderline mess like KH 2 initially was.

As the finale to a ten-year-ongoing story they should put as much thought and time into it they need to make both gameplay and story a satisfying experience.

I have the solution. He can develop a rushed title for all the whining and bickering "fans" who never even played the hand held games, and then for the patient fans he could take more time in developing a polished, story heavy game instead! :)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I have the solution. He can develop a rushed title for all the whining and bickering "fans" who never even played the hand held games, and then for the patient fans he could take more time in developing a polished, story heavy game instead! :)

Heh, that's an actual idea, lol,
Kingdom Hearts III: The casual version, advertised with the slogan "Don't worry about story twists and continuity, enjoy just the Hollywood-style hack N'slash ala Dynasty warriors with Disney characters and an overpowered main protagonist".
Kingdom Hearts III: The nerd version, advertised to be story heavy with many connections to the other games and the battle system from the casual version, but it will release a year later than the casual version.

Spoilers are not that much of a concern because the casual version doesn't give a damn about the story, *ggg*.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Question: Nomura said he wanted to put out KH3 quickly. But he is currently working on FFXV so does that mean FFXV is near completion? And if he has the intention to release KH3 for the thirteenth birthday? It would leave them 2 years... I wonder what quickly means to him, personally quickly here would be 2-3 years but that seem quite a task to complete it.
Aaah! Can only wait and see...

and thanks for the translation!

Probably, just probably, FFXV is nearing completion after all. I remember hearing somewhere (Hashimoto interview, if memory serves me right), that there will be a significant gap between the releases of FFXV and KH3.

Now, some have theorised and speculated that KH3 would release in 2015 to coincide with the series' 13th anniversary, since the number 13 holds a great importance. Subtract the "significant gap" period, which may or may not be one year plus, from 2015, and you've got sometime in the near future. With FFXV releasing soon, which I would so like to be true, Nomura can finally fully concentrate on KH3 to meet that 2015 release.

OF COURSE, THOUGH... (I can't stress this enough. Formatting via mobile is a royal flaming pain)

This all is just one big, fat, huge hypothesis. It's also assuming that FFXV will release ahead of KH3, which may or may not be the case. I request that my words be taken with a pinch of salt. :p

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Heh, that's an actual idea, lol,
Kingdom Hearts III: The casual version, advertised with the slogan "Don't worry about story twists and continuity, enjoy just the Hollywood-style hack N'slash ala Dynasty warriors with Disney characters and an overpowered main protagonist".
Kingdom Hearts III: The nerd version, advertised to be story heavy with many connections to the other games and the battle system from the casual version, but it will release a year later than the casual version.

Spoilers are not that much of a concern because the casual version doesn't give a damn about the story, *ggg*.
I would be a goddamned liar if I said I wouldn't buy both versions.

Pipapo

Website
pixiv.me
I totally agree with the fact they shouldn't rush KH3 development just to be able to release it right on schedule. Anyway, the Osaka team works really well, KH 3D proved it (personally) so I guess you can trust them in doing something really good. I'm not sure if it's linked but I read somewhere (I'll try to find the article) that the new SE president said something about a bad habit developers had to reveal games too early on development.
We don't know how far is KH's but well, I truly hope they'll take their time because, well, it's the final words of the Xehanort saga so it better kick gr/ass!
(I don't mind them making it for the fourteenth anniversary, patience is virtue f^_^;) )

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Anyway, the Osaka team works really well, KH 3D proved it (personally) so I guess you can trust them in doing something really good.
The Osaka team is crazy. They did 3D in only just over a year, didn't they?

And HD 1.5 was done by just two guys, wasn't it?

I don't think "quickly" means "rushed" to the Osaka team.

Original Sin

I was under the impression that the team that made Dream Drop immediately started work on Kingdom Hearts 3 after it was done. That's given them a full 18 months at it already.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that once the FFXV team was done, they'd join the current KH3 team and help them polish the game up. (I don't remember where I saw it though)

So a 2015 release really doesn't sound all that far-fetched. That'll be 3 years in development, with 2 teams working on it during crunch time.

Jim Hawkins

Returning worlds will have new areas. Not groundbreaking but still... hmm.

I'm guessing maybe:

-Agrabah: FINALLY going inside the palace and meeting the Sultan. And where ever else the King of Thieves needs us to go in the middle of the desert.
-Olympus Coliseum: More of Thebes, climbing Mount Olympus to meet Zeus and the other gods, while fighting the other titans.
-Port Royal: Davy Jones Locker, and anywhere else from Pirates 2 & 3.

I can dig it :)

axel95

Awards

Efficiently might have been a better choice of words for Nomura.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I would be a goddamned liar if I said I wouldn't buy both versions.

Lol, if you can spare the money for that, why not? It also depends of course on preferences as there are groups of fans around in the fanbase who do not really care for the story despite it being one of the central points of KH.

I totally agree with the fact they shouldn't rush KH3 development just to be able to release it right on schedule. Anyway, the Osaka team works really well, KH 3D proved it (personally) so I guess you can trust them in doing something really good. I'm not sure if it's linked but I read somewhere (I'll try to find the article) that the new SE president said something about a bad habit developers had to reveal games too early on development.
We don't know how far is KH's but well, I truly hope they'll take their time because, well, it's the final words of the Xehanort saga so it better kick gr/ass!
(I don't mind them making it for the fourteenth anniversary, patience is virtue f^_^;) )

KH 3D is after everything taken into consideration still a handheld title that in terms of overall scope cannot be compared to a home console entry, not to mention Nomura himself mentioned in one interview that he felt 3D was a tad too rushed in some areas.
3D is also so far the only KH title with several reported bugs during gameplay like the infamous Link-Portal bug. Other KH titles had some glitches, but no outright bugs in the game itself.

KH III itself was revealed very early (if not too early) in development, that's what Nomura said in the E3 interview this year. To unveil KH III at this year's E3 was done mainly to finally shut all those whiners and complainers up.

Yeah, they did, and Nomura stated that it may have been a too short time indeed.

Yep, they did, considering that they had to build up a lot of KH 1 FM anew because of lost data, the end result of the bundle of HD 1.5 is pretty good.

Maybe not to the Osaka team, but the business goons in the upper tiers of Square and a lot of the casual fans may get to think otherwise.

Seriously, when I see people stating they want KH 3 released in 2014 I can just roll my eyes. We will be very lucky if they manage a late 2015 release.
I'm still on the impression that a 2016-release (around March in Japan, July/August rest of the world) is the most realistic one.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Seriously, when I see people stating they want KH 3 released in 2014 I can just roll my eyes. We will be very lucky if they manage a late 2015 release.
I'm still on the impression that a 2016-release (around March in Japan, July/August rest of the world) is the most realistic one.
I think a late-2015 release for Japan is very possible. Of course the expediency of KHIII's development does in part depend on when Tokyo finishes FFXV. But Osaka does real good work in short amounts of time, so who knows?

The series does, after all, have that one-game-a-year release schedule.

(Maybe I'll finally get that KH​ fighting game I want...)

Pipapo

Website
pixiv.me
KH 3D is after everything taken into consideration still a handheld title that in terms of overall scope cannot be compared to a home console entry, not to mention Nomura himself mentioned in one interview that he felt 3D was a tad too rushed in some areas.
3D is also so far the only KH title with several reported bugs during gameplay like the infamous Link-Portal bug. Other KH titles had some glitches, but no outright bugs in the the game itself.

My bad, I only saw playthroughs and the game seemed pretty smooth (well the player was also really good I guess). But Nomura wants to have a KH game released each year, it's really something to to do that and it's a good move for the fans. However it has consequences on their games, like glitches (personally I never had one but I haven't played all the games so I can't really say they're perfect). Darn, making video games is no small task, the designing part is so more easier compared to the programming part (not sure of the words). Chasing the glitches must be difficult...(; ̄ェ ̄). At this pace, I believe the Osaka team eat, drink and dream KH ・・・
KH3 will have to be something but it's better not to have too high expectations, and I believe for all the hard work they're providing, waiting patiently won't hurt. A 2015 release can be possible but late-late 2015 at the very least. We'll see.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The series does, after all, have that one-game-a-year release schedule.

(Maybe I'll finally get that KH​ fighting game I want...)

My only hope is that for this one-game-a-year release schedule to not translate into hasty development and result in mediocrity, or goodness-forbid even worse. The Dragonball games under Spike follows this rule too, and has met with mixed reviews from fans because they seem to be too rushed, and I hope KH doesn't fall into the same trap... though I think so far it has managed to manoeuvre around it quite well.

Also, if someone would be so kind as to refresh my memory, what KH game was launched in 2011? Is it Re:coded?

(And this fighting KH game needs to happen. Like, it really does.)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
At this pace, I believe the Osaka team eat, drink and dream KH ・・・

They're living the dream that the Tokyo team wants so badly to be a part of 8D

No seriously. Tokyo Team has been stuck in FF XIII/XIV/XV hell for years. If they actually did want to go back to work on KH, I wouldn't be surprised.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Concerning that "1 game per year" bit, when did he say this? Cause I find it a bit unrealistic to expect 1 game per year indefinitely. KH3 may brake that cycle after all.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Concerning that "1 game per year" bit, when did he say this? Cause I find it a bit unrealistic to expect 1 game per year indefinitely. KH3 may brake that cycle after all.

Full Famitsu Interview - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

-- So there'll be several changes. Does this mean we can expect a 'Final Mix'...?

Nomura: That will depend on how much it differs from the Japanese version. But we do basically want to bring out one game in the 'Kingdom Hearts' series every year; we don't intend you to go for years without a single piece of news.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Huh. That tidbit about only being able to speak for himself about the next Saga is interesting. Do you think Nomura's doubting that Disney wants another KH series? Personally, I don't think so. I think he just doesn't want to get people's hopes up, for a series that hasn't been okayed by Disney yet, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm really digging these gameplay ideas (c'mon, a ton of NPCs!), and how eager they are to get this game out to fans. But as everyone has pointed out so far, I really hope they don't rush it. This is the last game of the Dark Seeker Chronicles, and it needs to be done right. Especially for those who are jumping ship after this: they deserve the best ending possible, to this ten-plus-years journey.

Also... 2015-2016 is sounding like the most likely release dates to me. I still think 2015 is pushing it, though (even if that is the thirteen-year-anniversary for the series). Most likely, I see the game being released in 2016, which I think is the ten-year-anniversary for KHII, right? In my eyes, that would be the perfect time to release it for obvious reasons. And I think the game would be very nice and polished then:)

New locations for old worlds... That's neat. It looks like they're taking a leaf out of DDD's book there. Does this sort of confirm Mt. Olympus might, indeed, be happening, then?

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Also, if someone would be so kind as to refresh my memory, what KH game was launched in 2011? Is it Re:coded?

(And this fighting KH game needs to happen. Like, it really does.)
Yeah, Re:coded.

Seriously though, Dissidia was going to be a KH fighter until Disney decided that their characters couldn't fight each other...
which is almost the entirety of the franchise's premise so GG Disney

I would be totally fine with an original-cast-only fighter though. I might even prefer it that way.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The transcript from Famitsu has been translated, with many thanks to SQEXGAL!
So many fans were ecstatic with the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3 back in June. Could you give us another run down of the series and the new title Kingdom Hearts 3?

Nomura
: The Kingdom Hearts series has a lot of Disney characters, and you play as original characters, traveling to the various Disney worlds. It’s a story about the “heart” as the series unfolds. It’s a story that’s been ongoing for more than 10 years and continues into Kingdom Hearts 3 where we’ll see the conclusion of the Dark Seeker Saga.

Since it’s the latest console game in the series since Kingdom Hearts 2 which released in 2005, what kind of changes and evolutions can we expect to see?

Nomura: I think when you watch the in development trailers, you get a feel of the depth that's possible on a console title. In the case of mobile systems, the amount of information is limited, but with the home consoles you can make a game with a wide field of view. It's been such a long time since Kingdom Hearts has been on the home console, that I think you can feel the considerable scale of it.

On that large a scale, I expect we’ll be able to enjoy even more dynamic action.

Nomura
: Kingdom Hearts is a series where action continues to evolve. With the past spin off titles, we did something new and the bold action elements changed each time. One thing I want to do with KH3 is to pick and choose the challenges and unique systems from the spin off titles while keeping the system based in the flow of KH1 & KH2.

What’s an example of bold action?

Nomura: Sora's mobility has really improved. There are so many possibilities, but implementing all of them would be extravagant, so right now I'm considering what elements and to what degree they'll be liberalized. After all, it's an RPG as well as an action game. It does have that "jump as far as you want" kind of the action characteristic.

Jump as far as you want? That’s insane!

Nomura
: In the actual game there will be some sort of limit, but this time we are adopting the "free run" style like in current action games, where you can run around, climb, etc. Additionally, your aerial ability and jump ability rise rapidly, so it feels like the action elements are really extravagant. I think people who have played KH2 might understand it easily, it already has greater mobility than Sora's Final Form from that game.

That kind of mobility, no doubt the next gen system PS4 has the ability to realize it?

Nomura
: I think that the PS4's power is capable of handling a diverse array of actions in a wide area and battles against large numbers of enemies.

Are you powering up the map's traits as well?

Nomura
: We're preparing a fair number of actions that involve the world maps. Things like climbing up a cliff that crumbles with falling stones, and enemies lifting up a building that you are in.

In the E3 2013 trailer, we see a large number of Shadow Heartless squirming and moving almost like a tidal wave. It seems like the enemies' mobility has evolved too.

Nomura
: This time we are focusing our attention on developing the AI. The AI of both your allies and enemies has evolved in a way that hasn't been seen so far. Before when a large number of enemies appeared, they all followed a program action pattern. But this time each enemy behaves according to it's own thought process. I think it's something that has been drastically powered up compared to the previous KH titles.

Speaking of allies, will the actions of our travel partners Goofy and Donald change as well?

Nomura
: Their AI is also being powered up considerably. Since Disney characters have concrete personalities, I want them to act according to their own thoughts instead of just giving them an order and having them obey like in the Final Fantasy series. Relating to their AI, we're configuring it so Donald and Goofy act more like themselves.

Even when they cooperate and mobile, it's not like you give them clear instructions like before.

Nomura
: The direction we're taking in their growth is to have it so they consider the situation, and help out accordingly. As the player is busy controlling Sora in battle, they consider how they'll participate and their actions increase accordingly.

With the PS4's specs and memory volume, the PS4 is able to implement those features?

Nomura
: Well, even with the KH games so far, we've made it as seamless to the best of our ability, but the data is resident in the memory... So we include as many actions, motions and effects as possible. Luckily, the PS4's memory volume is big, so it helps.

Bold action, map features, and enemy AI. That's a lot to squeeze into one screen. When I consider it compared to KH2, it seems to become a pretty different game.

Nomura
: Since it's a numbering KH title that crosses into the next gen, I think you'll be able to feel how it's evolved proportionately.

How about the graphics?

Nomura
: We're aiming for a photo realistic representation combined with a tone of each Disney world.

You’ve mentioned before that KH3 has a new shader being developed for it, can you tell us about it again?

Nomura: This isn't the official name, but it's something we call the Kingdom Shader. You saw it a little bit in the E3 trailer, this visual of a Disney 2D produced painted image represented in 3D. This time, when I was thinking about how the graphics in KH3 would be visualized, it started with Takeshi Nozue working in Visual Works, and he made patterns of various visuals for me. He gave me this "painted looking visual" pattern and I wound up showing it at E3. Visual Works makes pre-rendered footage, and this is based on a way to make it work in real time.

Is the painted looking visual something that you’ve wanted to implement for a long time?

Nomura
: Since the very first title, the graphic gradation was made with the intention of representing the painted look of Disney's animations. But with the hardware back then didn't have the capability to adjust the lighting freely, so we tried to portray a painted visual in the textures we used. But this time the hardware's capabilities are better, there is no option of "not using light." You don't get a sense of graphical evolution just by setting old graphics to HD, my goal with the next gen isn't to do something that reproduces the pre-rendered scenes from KH1 & KH2 in real time. I considered the concept of the visuals and thus the representation Kingdom Shader was created.

I think all the fans are wondering, what worlds will appear, what enemies will we battle against, etc... Do you have anything to share about that?

Nomura
: Not yet right now. (laughs)

Nothing, huh? But of course new worlds will be introduced, right?

Nomura
: As for worlds, I've made some choices and started making them, but at this stage I can't announce what world and which characters. Information will come little by little... There are a lot of new worlds since there are so many Disney titles that haven't appeared yet. As for familiar worlds and characters, you can expect that the locations will be completely, the visuals will be different.

Are the plans for KH3 to utilize the DUALSHOCK 4 functions?

Nomura
: Like Final Fantasy XV, KH3 is being developed in DirectX 11, so in what ways it will use the PS4's functions hasn't been decided concretely yet. Right now we're in a stage where we are making note of the hardware and it'll become clearer in the future. When I have an idea, I think how about we use the DUALSHOCK 4 touch pad? So I think I'd use it in some form, but right now nothing is decided.

Are you thinking about corresponding functions with tablets or the PS Vita?

Nomura
: Naturally I'm considering external devices, but I'm still thinking of ideas right now.

Many things can be realized with the PS4, but there seems to be a lot of troubling things too.
Nomura: I suppose so. Ideas I think are original are already being realized by other makers, so we are waiting to see what they do, but it's also nerve wracking. So far I've made games on a variety of hardware, but since I want put in as many elements as I can, I have a lot to think about. Because there are various possibilities, I want to make the kinda games that stand out as interesting.

As someone who has seen the generation changes of many systems, what about the PS4 has impacted you?

Nomura
: I thought it was overkill. (laughs) As expected I gradually accepted it and then I wanted one. (laughs) Players are swelling with expectations, but to make something suitable for this system, this is a hurdle that developers must overcome. The things you can do have increased immensely, so once you start broadening the possibilities, it doesn't end, the possibilities just grow. You're pressed to choose what ideas to keep and what to toss. The announcement at E3 has passed, and I am still feeling the huge response that KH3 received. Everyone was so happy in that moment, I'm challenged by how I'll live up to that expectation with this title. It's a big challenge when you have this system where the power of expression is so high. There have been a variety of systems so far, but I feel like this one is the greatest mountain to overcome.

Not just in Japan, but fans around the world are waiting.

Nomura
: The mountain is being exceeded so far. I think we'll be able to do something, I believe in my staff.

So are the Final Fantasy XV team and Kingdom Hearts 3 team influencing each other in any way?

Nomura
: Well, when they see the other team, they get inspired by the great things they see, but that's because that's how things were created in the Square era. KH3's development started later, so it's not as far along, but I think that it's good motivation.

By the way, we'll see the end of the Dark Seeker Saga in KH3, but what will happen after that?

Nomura
: Kingdom Hearts is a Disney title, so I can't speak for them, but naturally, in my own mind I have ideas about what happens after KH3. About characters, and developments. Maybe sometime there will be a chance to talk about that, but rather than thinking out the concrete details regarding that, right now my first priority is completing KH3. I want to put out KH3 quickly.

We're looking forward to it. Alright, any last messages for the viewers?

Nomura
:
Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 were for PS2 and we skipped the PS3 and now we are releasing Kingdom Hearts 3 onto PS4. The power of expression has increased drastically, and from the developments accumulated so far, even the gameplay by itself, I think that it's become something with depth. So that the day fans can experience it for themselves, we are all working are hardest, so please look forward to the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back