• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Roxas place in the trio?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Keyblade07

So from what I saw even tho Roxas always sits in the middle he is still gives me the Sora and Ventus vibe of his trio but I still see riku vibe in him too in my opinion, he just gives the cool laidback vibe which you rarely see in Sora and ventus

Edit: I would also argue that Roxas is realistic character and behaves like a real teenage boy boy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

Lea is the Sora to Isa's Riku but I'm not sure he's the Sora in the RaX trio.

He's probably the Riku.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah I also saw him more as the Riku in the group, him being older and a bit more "dark"/villainous guy.

Though honestly I don't think RAX really fits as neatly in the SRK model as TAV does, which makes sense, TAV was made to parallel them while RAX just kinda came to be and wasn't planned to be. (I mean that Roxas was thought up first, then Axel was made without any intended connection to Roxas and then much later Xion was made to help make a trio of friends out of the three,)

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Yeah I also saw him more as the Riku in the group, him being older and a bit more "dark"/villainous guy.

Though honestly I don't think RAX really fits as neatly in the SRK model as TAV does, which makes sense, TAV was made to parallel them while RAX just kinda came to be and wasn't planned to be. (I mean that Roxas was thought up first, then Axel was made without any intended connection to Roxas and then much later Xion was made to help make a trio of friends out of the three,)
I agree with this one. RAX doesn't have that many similarities to SRK like TAV do. RAX are just a band of Nobody misfits that mix with one another. I really don't see the similarities between Roxas and Riku. Roxas didn't start off laidback. He was curious, immature, emotional and loyal/protective of the ones he loved, hence why his heart always reacts to elements of his old life in Sora. He only feels mature in KH3 due to his life experiences and KH2 Roxas is essentially a Diz-brainwashed personality that functions more like a regular person then his Nobody personality to throw off the Dusk. But elements of his old personality still exist such as the loyalty to his loved ones. Roxas would never betray his friends the way Riku did and doesn't have Terra's darkness issues either. Roxas doesn't care about power, despite being one of the most powerful beings in the series, ironic I suppose. He's most similar to Sora and Ven, because while he is very different several elements of Roxas also work with Sora. Both are obsessed with their friends to the point where it can be used against them.

disney233

Awards
At first, if you put it to perspective, Roxas didn't really HAVE a choice to be the Sora in the group because he technically IS (or was, I don't quite know anymore) Sora. Xion is also Sora, but compiled out of the many memories, thus making almost everyone (Specifically Riku) to see her as Kairi and technically IS apart of her just like Namine. And though he isn't apart of Riku, Axel's the more mature one who tries to bring everyone back by himself. Even if it takes doing the 'icky jobs' to do so just like Riku.

It's more of the perspective of who's who with these three. But, now that they're (I think) real people, I...can't say I know for sure if this connection remains.

And also what Sweet said above, the ambitions between Sora & Roxas remains the same, in being obsessive with friends to a point where their enemies use it to undermind them. Lord knows how many times we've seen that with all the Soras.

Violet Pluto

Awards
If I were to parallel them...

Sora, Aqua, Xion
Riku, Terra, Roxas
Kairi, Ventus, Axel

As was previously noted, the X trio doesn't fit perfectly with the parallel, but for me this is the closest they get in parallel, and to tell the truth, I'd count Axel as another Riku if allowed, but then he would have four parallels. Kairi has Ventus and if she was added, Namine because they are all the I guess you could say purest of the categories, but they are all very similar. Xion and Aqua are on Sora's line because they are pretty much the glue of their teams (though Aqua is sadly unable to hold everybody together in the end.) If I were to do this again Xion and Axel could be swapped but I think Xion fits Sora's niche much better than Axel does so I guess he's the odd one out.

Keyblade07

If I were to parallel them...

Sora, Aqua, Xion
Riku, Terra, Roxas
Kairi, Ventus, Axel

As was previously noted, the X trio doesn't fit perfectly with the parallel, but for me this is the closest they get in parallel, and to tell the truth, I'd count Axel as another Riku if allowed, but then he would have four parallels. Kairi has Ventus and if she was added, Namine because they are all the I guess you could say purest of the categories, but they are all very similar. Xion and Aqua are on Sora's line because they are pretty much the glue of their teams (though Aqua is sadly unable to hold everybody together in the end.) If I were to do this again Xion and Axel could be swapped but I think Xion fits Sora's niche much better than Axel does so I guess he's the odd one out.
Personality wise Sora and ventus are much similar tbh

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
IMO I think people confuse fandom Roxas with canon Roxas. Add fandom Ventus to the mix and people automatically consider Roxas the emo/grumpy one. Roxas is more down to earth, but he has an earnest and naive side as well. As someone who's a Days fan, I can tell you that Roxas did the whole childlike wonder before Ventus(Not counting Sora). If you play or watch cutscenes of the game(ignore the abridged movie) you'll see those qualities. Roxas gets excited about discovering new things like he did in Halloween Town and Beasts' Castle. He shows his childish/naive side in Wonderland and Halloween Town when he gets irritated by the Cheshire Cat and tricked by Lock, Shock and Barrel.

Unfortunately a lot of fans simplified Roxas to the ansgty version of Sora, when in reality he's just a poor boy who has been dealt a very bad hand. Of course Roxas behaved the way he did, he kept getting pushed into corners. Other than that, Roxas is a sweet, caring, naive and kid at heart. I've rambled too long...

Noivern

Awards
IMO I think people confuse fandom Roxas with canon Roxas. Add fandom Ventus to the mix and people automatically consider Roxas the emo/grumpy one. Roxas is more down to earth, but he has an earnest and naive side as well. As someone who's a Days fan, I can tell you that Roxas did the whole childlike wonder before Ventus(Not counting Sora). If you play or watch cutscenes of the game(ignore the abridged movie) you'll see those qualities. Roxas gets excited about discovering new things like he did in Halloween Town and Beasts' Castle. He shows his childish/naive side in Wonderland and Halloween Town when he gets irritated by the Cheshire Cat and tricked by Lock, Shock and Barrel.

Unfortunately a lot of fans simplified Roxas to the ansgty version of Sora, when in reality he's just a poor boy who has been dealt a very bad hand. Of course Roxas behaved the way he did, he kept getting pushed into corners. Other than that, Roxas is a sweet, caring, naive and kid at heart. I've rambled too long...
While I agree with all of the points you made, it's also worthy to note that Riku is considered a grumpy and emo kid as well when he was under pressure from Maleficent/Xehanort but whenever he is with Mickey or Sora he turns back into a playful teenager, and his appearances in 3D and 3 are much more laid back and calm similar to Aqua.
And Roxas is a complicated case because the only game where we got to actually experience him fully without being under direct manipulation (interms of memory/personality) by others was Days who is probably going to be stuck to the DS forever, as more than half of the game was cut from the movie version like you said.

I personally view current Roxas (after everything he's gone through) as a more mature kid who has gone through a lot and just wants to stay with his friends. He's not quite as laidback as Riku or Aqua, but he's also not as numb as Xion or Isa. But we'll have to wait until Remind to see more.

As for the thread itself, I think the only proper functional trios are the Destiny Islands and Wayfinder trios, like SweetYetSalty said. While the narrative for days ties to put Axel, Roxas and Xion into a trio, they don't actually function as one: Axel and Xion's interactions are weird and out of place for the most time and while they did end up caring and loving each other, it's clear that they're only really there because of Roxas. To add to that, the other two trios are mostly singular; while they interact with other characters, their arcs revolve around each other at all times.
While for Axel, Roxas and Xion they don't get that same sense of belonging while also being influenced by external sources (Axel has Saix, after all. Roxas and Xion both have a complicated relationship with Naminé, and Xion with Riku too. Roxas later gets Hayner, Pence and Olette as his friends too, even if their friendship is questionable at best they are associated with him before we even got to meet Xion or see Axel and Roxas' friendship in proper).

What I meant to say in this ramble is that while they serve as a trio of protagonists for the narrative, I don't really think they were intended to mirror the other two trios in any way or form which is evidenced by the finale of KH3 where Isa joins them.

SweetYetSalty

Awards

I am so glad someone said this. I think it's a combination of not many people playing the actual DS 358/2 Days and just associating Roxas with his KH2FM dual wielding boss, as well as Data Roxas, that is why so many just see him as this dark serious edgy character. When in reality he's just as friend obsessed as everyone else in this series. Roxas's experiences in the Disney worlds he goes to is one of the most underrated aspects of his character.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I am so glad someone said this. I think it's a combination of not many people playing the actual DS 358/2 Days and just associating Roxas with his KH2FM dual wielding boss, as well as Data Roxas, that is why so many just see him as this dark serious edgy character. When in reality he's just as friend obsessed as everyone else in this series. Roxas's experiences in the Disney worlds he goes to is one of the most underrated aspects of his character.
Its just like how everyone thinks Cloud is broody and emo when he's actually a bit of a dork who unironically tells his crew, "Let's mosey." This is being made a bit more evident even in the early game scenes we're seeing in FF7R trailers but he's always truly been that way instead of being Edgelord McEdgington.

Violet Pluto

Awards
I'd say that Roxas is coloured by his first appearance BEING edgy and filled with angst. That's also the present instead of a past story meaning that it's a lot more relevant to the narrative of what's happening, and to tell the truth, part of the reason that Days isn't looked at as much, is that it's a prequel that we already know most of the important things that happen in it even back at the time when it was released. The only new story element was Xion, and that you could take or leave playing the game just to see if she was an important enough part of the story to buy the game just for those interactions.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'd say that Roxas is coloured by his first appearance BEING edgy and filled with angst. That's also the present instead of a past story meaning that it's a lot more relevant to the narrative of what's happening, and to tell the truth, part of the reason that Days isn't looked at as much, is that it's a prequel that we already know most of the important things that happen in it even back at the time when it was released. The only new story element was Xion, and that you could take or leave playing the game just to see if she was an important enough part of the story to buy the game just for those interactions.
I'd say days gives us a better idea of Roxas as a person and what he's like generally. The way he behaved in the secenes we saw of him in KH2, show the side of him that comes out when angred or stressed.
That's not really what he'll be like now that things have calmed down for him and he has his friends back. At least in my opinion.

Back